Sunday, July 20, 2014

More Ancients – Mostly Roman Soldiers

Another Batch of Romans… I thought this would be the last, but I found a few more I thought I’d paint up as individually-based skirmishin’ figures (they were originally earmarked for potential DBA armies… but I don’t think I’ll ever get around to doing a FIFTH Early Imperial Roman Army… so…)

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version):


This weeks work… Mostly Roman Soldiers.


One batch of Roman legionnaires – these are a mix of figures from Gripping Beast and (I think…) a few really old Citadel Miniatures.


Next Batch of Romans – this time with a few Auxiliaries in the mix – again Gripping Beast and the old Citadel and the two Auciliary spearmen… I have no idea… got them in a trade.


Last batch of Romsn Soldiers – these are all old Citadel Miniatures (I think…).


A few Greeks – the Archer is from Black Tree Design, the dead Spartan I got in a pack from  Warlord Games and the other fellow, that I initially also thought was a casualty – but I now think is actually just a drunk lying in the street, was from Wargames Foundry (could be handy for Song of Shadows and Dust - possibly instead of an “Irritable Mule” I could have and “Angry Drunk Lying in the Street”)


An Irritable Mule and some Pigeons – which I will be using for Song of Shadows and Dust.


One more ancient Roman citizen – a young lad from Wargames Foundry


Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

I’d like to get in another game of Song of Shadows and Dust, but the kids have also been trying to convince me to run a Tale of Blades and Heroes/A Song of Blades and Heroes campaign set in the world of the Ancient/Mythical Greeks…

I have hoped to be done with painting Romans this week, but I have a few more to finish up… I had be planning to start in on the Egyptians and Nubians this next week, but I’ve got a handful of Greek on the go… perhaps after them I’ll get going on the Egyptians and Nubians. 

6 comments:

  1. Nice EIR troops; love the mule and birdies too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hand painted EIR shields? You have my respect mate. Now get yourself some professional help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy! I can't help it, I'm just too cheap to pay money to buy something (shield transfers) when I physically can just paint them myself... Oh, I know it would be WAY quicker... but... I dunno.... I had real troubles with putting decals on the plastic models in my youth and somehow I just have this irrational dislike of decals....

      Delete
  3. I was going to say the same thing about the shields, awesome freakin work! Were there any kind of molded outlines on the shields, or is that all straight paint work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      There were moulded outlines on the old Citadel miniatures - but they were even MORE complicated and detailed so I just ignored them and painted over them with whatever I felt like/could fit on the sheild...

      Delete