Sunday, April 19, 2015

Early War French for Bolt Action

Below is a small force of French Infantry I’ve organized for Bolt Action. All the figures are from Bolt Action/ Warlord Games.

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version)


French Platoon and Support – about 639-749 points (so far…)


Platoon HQ: CO (Lieutenant), Sergeant-chef, Signaler
(Regular 1st Lieutenant plus two extra Regular s) 95 points



1st Section
(French Infantry Section - 10 Regulars, 1 LMG, 1 pistol, VB launcher)  137 points



2nd Section
(French Infantry Section - 10 Regulars, 1 LMG, 1 pistol, VB launcher)  137 points



3rd Section
(French Infantry Section - 10 Regulars, 1 LMG, 1 pistol, VB launcher)  137 points


Other Attached Elements:



Hotchkiss Mle1914 Machine-gun Team – from one of the battalion’s four MG Platoons
Regular MMG Team @ 50 points



Mle 1927/31 81mm Mortar Team – from the battalion’s Heavy Weapons Platoon
(Regular Medium Mortar Team) 50points



Medical Aide – from the Regimental Medical Services Squad
(Regular Medic) 23points



The trusty old Soixante-Quinze (75mm Mle 1897 gun) – state-of-the-art in 1914… 1940… not so much – but according to the Bolt Action lists I can field one for FREE due to the Forward Artillery Doctrine rule – from the Division’s Light Artillery Regiment
Light Howitzer Team – 0 points!




Officer and signaler. Could be either:

Company commander – Capitaine
(Regular Captain + 1 Regular) 120 points

OR

Forward Artillery Observer Team
(Regular Artillery Forward Observer +1 Regular) 110 points

OR

perhaps I could just use the signaler as a Spotter for Mortar…? (+10 points)


If I were to add anything to the force it might be an Renault R35 tank (which I probably will in the not-too-distant future)… I’d go for the R35 as the majority of the Bataillion de Chars de Combat (armoured battalions that provided support to Infantry Divisions) seem to have been equipped with the R35 (I’m all about versatility).

Additionally I could add an AT gun - probably the 25mm M37 (as I imagine they could be facing some blitzkrieging light panzers) - or possibly some French Cavalry from Crusader Miniatures just for fun.


Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

I have some more German SS infantry on the workbench at the moment… so seems I’m going to be finishing them up next… Then perhaps the Fallshirmjägers…? 

Maybe at some point I should throw some of these on the table and play a game or two!? 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tim, those French look great! Looking forward to those Fallschirmjägers, something I've wanted to paint for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvellous. I am doing the same in 54mm - yours will spur me on to finish the, I have to 'make' all the support weapons and crew as no on does them for the French in 1/32nd. I will now bas my Comms and Medic on yours-thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike!

      54mm, huh? Now THAT would be interesting to see! I seem to recall reading in a Wargames Illustrated (or Miniature Wargames?) about a fellow who had put on a Crossfire game in 1/35!? It certainly looked impressive!

      Delete